Monday, March 22, 2010

Feature Story: The Human Canvas

Jolinda Sanders walks into Ink Addiction, rock music amplifying the display of sample artwork lining the white walls. She finds her best friend Jo Swigart to begin work on their latest project. They talk about designs and bright colors for their project as Sanders relaxes; the day’s worries slipping from her mind. Swigart sketches a tattoo of a pink cupcake for Sanders’ hip.

Sanders, who has nine tattoos, finds relaxation while being pierced with a needle. “I know it sounds weird, but when everything else is awry, I can go and relax there; it’s relaxing,” said Sanders, a multidisciplinary studies senior. Swigart does all of Sanders' tattoo work. “When I saw her work, it was beautiful,” Sanders said. Swigart designed Sanders back tattoo: a fleur-de-lis and flowers from her right shoulder down to her left hip. “In my back alone, I have about 30 hours [of tattoo work],” she said. Her back tattoo is for her as a reminder for the changes she's gone through. “I was an ugly duckling for a long time. I had kids early, became a mom early and when I got to college, I blossomed," she said. "Your body is like a canvas," Sanders said. "But you have to work with your body and what looks good."

With five piercings, Sabrina Friday has a similar philosophy. She views her body as a blank white canvas waiting for its Michelangelo.

"If you're not using it, then decorate," said Friday, a multidisciplinary studies senior. She says she loves piercings, especially her tongue, a result from needing change in her life. "My ex-fiancé and mine's relationship wasn't doing very well, and I needed a change," she said. "Instead of chopping off all of my hair, I got my tongue pierced."

Though both women say they like their tattoos and piercings, neither of their parents fully agree with their body art choices. Not everyone respects body art. "Some people just don't get it," Sanders said.

Sanders has tattoos to represent her friends and close family. Her family's reactions vary. Sanders hid her eyebrow piercing for three years from her dad. She only recently showed him the tattoo that represents him. "My dad's a man of many words, but when I showed him 'his' tattoo, he said he appreciated the thought but wished I would quit getting tattoos."

She doesn’t want her father to disapprove of her and her body art more than he may already. Her dad said no when she asked for his approval to get a tattoo on her back. "I asked because I don't want to disappoint him. A few weeks later, I started my back."

"He's from a different era," she said. "To him, it's more like I'm tearing my body up rather than I'm decorating it," she said. "God decorated the world with beautiful things; everything's not just black and white; there are colors everywhere. I painted my body because it's beautiful."

Tattoos are not always considered beautiful paintings. Tattoo artist at the Hall of Tattoos in Norman, Kenny “Ken” Hall says, “Tattoos are becoming more socially acceptable because of television.”

“Tattoos are traditionally associated with military people or motorcycle gangs; they can have a negative connotation,” Hall said.

Hall says tattoos and piercings are more acceptable among younger generations. Students love seeing Sanders' tattoos. "People always come up and ask me to see them," she said. "The most attention I've ever gotten was at Ink Addiction's third anniversary party. People kept touching my back, wanting pictures."

Her two kids are excited about Sanders’ tattoos, and they love seeing them published in magazines, such as "Thunder Roads." But as Sanders' daughter gets older, kids in her grade are beginning to judge, she says.

"I had come from class one day, and my tattoos were showing," Sanders said. "Some girls in my daughter's class was like, 'oh, your mom..." talking about Sanders body art. "I'm trying to be respectful of my daughter and cover them. I need to be able to wear a suit and be professional," she said.

Keri Waggoner, pre-communications sciences and disorders junior, has strategically hidden her tattoos for professionalism.

"I have three tattoos, " Waggoner said. "One on my foot and one on each side of my torso, I can go on job interviews and they can be covered."

For Sanders, Friday, and Waggoner, beauty is more than skin deep. Each woman loves themselves and their life but wants to portray a sense of normalcy. Professionalism is a top priority in each woman’s mind while they express themselves artistically through body modifications. Sanders’ body modifications represent her love for her family and for herself. Friday’s piercings represent change and the love of decorating.

Waggoner said, "My tattoos remind me of God, symbolizing my faith, love, and hope." Body modifications are symbolic of their lives.

Sanders said, "Even if you don't get to talk to me, you know something about me from looking at my tattoos." Resulting from a need for change, as a symbol of love for others and for yourself, and as a remembrance of faith, these women live professional student lives. Sanders will be applying to medical school in the fall, Friday graduates in May, and Waggoner hopes to become a speech pathologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment