Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cautionary Words about Using Words with Caution

Having grown up in a politically correct world, language sensitivity should not be too much of a challenge when it comes to describing races and cultures. However, it takes a dictionary to keep up with all of the appropriate terms and titles.

About the cultures I am familiar with, it is easy to remember the vocabulary words--I have relatives from Iran, so I am fairly familiar with the appropriate terms for things within the Muslim culture and about people groups in the Middle East. But for some of the cultures I have not been exposed to as much, it can be challenging to keep the proper language straight.

Challenge or not, it is important to use respectful language when referring to any culture or community. Especially for journalists, it is crucial to not alienate or offend anyone inadvertently through inappropriate language usage. Discrimination is in the ear of the beholder, so words should be selected with care.

No comments:

Post a Comment