The worlds of academic and journalist writing have the same goal: The writer should tell a story to the reader. However, the variations in the styles of these two types of writing create challenges. For academic papers, it is taught that when a list is written, a comma should go before the word "and." Journalists omit this comma. This sounds like a simple rule, but it has tripped me up many times. I may work on a paper for class the same day that I write a feature story for the Sooner Yearbook or work on an assignment for Writing for the Mass Media. If I don't carefully check my commas, it is highly likely that I may either under or over use them.
Journalistic writing would be hard to conquer without the AP Stylebook. It would be nearly impossible to learn all of the tiny details, such as when to hyphenate words or the abbreviations of states to be used in texts, without the guide. Thankfully, I know that as long as I write for journalism, I can turn to the AP Stylebook to help separate my academic from journalistic writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment