Speaking with sensitivity and respect for those of different cultures and communities has been a challenge for me mostly because I don't even realize when I am saying something that may be offensive. I was raised in the south, having family all over south Texas and all of Louisiana. I have to admit that some members of my family have not been blessed with the best social graces. I'm sure that a lot of the things that I have grown up hearing people say could be very offensive to other people. Since I have heard this kind of language my entire life, it's a challenge for me to stop and think before I open my mouth and say what just comes naturally. There have been several instances in my life where I said something that really offended one of my peers and didn't even realize that what I had said had hurt them.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment